Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet onion, (half diced, half thinly sliced), divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 1/2 cups soymilk, plain
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 (14 ounce) cans cut green beans
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat toffuti vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and slightly translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mushroom juices are almost evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add soy milk and sherry and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Stir in green beans and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in sour cream and cornstarch. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup flour, paprika, garlic powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Add sliced onion; toss to coat. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion along with any remaining flour mixture and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Spread the onion topping over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Ingredient notes:
- Don't use the high-sodium “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets. Instead, purchase dry sherry sold with other fortified wines.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat